Saturday, January 1, 2011

Win a $100 Home Depot gift card

When I read Kitchen Improved's contest for a $100 Home Depot gift card, I was giddy. The contest is simple: blog about how I will use the gift card if I win. The challenge for me is that it's so simple to spend $100 at Home Depot that I have a hard time narrowing it down. If only the contest gave away $100 A DAY to Home Depot! Then my addictive home improvement habit might be satiated :)

Kidding aside, I think this contest is awesome. Since I've most recently been working on remodeling my kitchen, I would love to use this gift card for some of my finishing touches.

I love using things for something other than their intended purposes... benches can become wall shelves, placemats can be wall art, etc. In that spirit, I want to create a shelf out of these copper ceiling tiles, available at Home Depot for $17.98 each.


I get lots of compliments on this 'wall art': actually a set of four placemats!

When I began shopping for a replacement for my wall oven, I quickly learned that my old model was not a standard size (probably because it's 40+ years old). I could spend a fortune on a custom oven (not happening) or I could figure out a way to make a standard oven work. No brainer.

Going with a larger oven wasn't a great option, as my wall oven was built into a stone wall which wouldn't easily be cut to a new size. The closest size smaller is the right width (24"), but 10" too short. This leaves me with a 10" x 24" opening across the top of the oven. This seems like the perfect size for a small shelf for spices.


The opening for the oven

Using three of the ceiling tiles, I can create a shelf that slides into the opening. The top and bottom will each be one standard tile. For the sides and back, the remaining tile can be cut into 10" pieces to close in all but the front of the shelf. The spices will slip right in. The tiles can be glued in place against the oven and walls with the appropriate glue to keep the shelf stable.

My homemade shelf, which will nicely match my copper backsplash and accents, will cost about $60 to make. With the remaining $40, I can finally start buying some decent pots and pans (yes, Home Depot sells those too!).


Lovin' my coppers and browns!

You too can enter to win. While I don't want competition, it's only fair to play by the rules :) For entry information, visit Kitchen Improved's contest site. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment